From start of this new academic year, young people are now required to continue in education or training
What is RPA?
The Government has changed the law so that from start of the 2013/14 academic year, all young people are required to continue in education or training:
- Until the end of the academic year in which they turn 17.
- From summer 2015 this will be until their 18th birthday.
The information here will help you to understand what this means for you.
Young people have a choice about how they continue in education or training post-16, which could be through:
- Full-time study in a school, college or with a training provider.
- Full-time work or volunteering combined with part-time education or training.
- An Apprenticeship (www.apprenticeships.org.uk).
For more information visit the Department for Education website - it contains articles and fact sheets which explain the changes to young people, parents/carers and employers.